Seattle Parks Legacy Plan Citizens Committee holds public hearing
If you want to influence the upcoming levy (next year) to support Seattle parks here is an opportunity. The Seattle Parks and Recreation Parks Legacy Plan Citizens Advisory Committee Meeting will be on Thursday, November 7 from 6 – 9 PM at the Miller Community Center, 330 19th Ave. E, Seattle, WA 98112. Below is information about the issues.
There are 37 Investment Initiatives (funding recommendations) that are proposed for inclusion in a future park funding ballot measure. An initial prioritization of the 37 proposed initiatives has occurred within three subcommittees: Existing Programs and Services, New Programs and Services and Partnerships.
The whole Committee needs to hear feedback from the community on the initiatives, and on the type of funding mechanisms being considered. Questions to consider before attending hearing include:
- What priorities should the Committee consider as it makes recommendations for a ballot measure?
- Should the ballot measure focus on maintaining core services like park maintenenace for bathrooms, litter pick up and keeping community center doors open?
- Should it focus on new projects that develop “land banked” sites and acquire new acreage?
- Should it concentrate on challenge grants like opportunity funds for community initiated projects and innovative new programs that encourage fitness?
- What kind of ballot measure should the Committee recommend?
- Should it be a levy? And if so, how many years – 6, 8, 12, permanent?
- Should it be a Metropolitan Park District with its own taxing authority?
Committee members are: Barbara Wright, Co-Chair; Charlie Zaragoza, Co-Chair; Thatcher Bailey; Steve Daschle; Juli Farris; Bill Farmer; Thomas Goldstein; Jessie Israel; Diana Kincaid; Michael Maddux; Brice Maryman; Yalonda Gill Masundire; Mustapha Math; David Namura; and Erika Nuerenberg-Melroy.
For more information, please visit http://www.seattle.gov/parks/legacy/committee.htm .
For special meeting accommodations or interpretation services at the meeting please contact Susanne Rockwell at email@example.com or 206-733-9702.